Friday, January 11, 2008

AFI Movie Date Night #2

Tonight it was Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, #99 on the list, starring Oscar winners Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn and Sidney Poitier. It was probably the biggest film of the time that dealt with the question of acceptance of an interracial marriage. I remember loving the film the previous times I had seen it. This time however, I found problems with the foundational issue of how quickly one can fall in love. I found I agreed with Tracy's initial assessment that he can't give the blessing based on the pressure of the deadline given him (one day). And I find I reject the point of Tracy's speech at the end - they should get married because the feelings of love are there. It boils down to another Hollywood romanticizing the process of love, which I have learned takes time to learn how to love and takes time to grow. They should have waited to get married (10 days is not enough time to decide!). They had time.

Nevertheless, the film has many splendid moments and is well worth watching. B+.

No comments: